Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Picking Rhubarb with a Delicious Recipe to go with it!

As I mentioned yesterday, I decided to walk up to the rhubarb patch to see if there was enough there to do some baking.  When I got there I was surprised to see at least 8 seed pods already coming up out of the patch!  Mom always said that meant the end of rhubarb season so I decided I better get to picking!

The Rhubarb Patch.  Can you spot the seed pods?

I had brought a paring knife with me plus a garbage bag to put the stalks in.  I trimmed the leaves off so it wouldn't take so much room and wouldn't be as heavy either.  I really thinned the patch and when I tried to carry the bag (about a mile or so) it was too unwieldy and heavy.  I laid it in the shade and walked back home.  I got the 4 wheeler out and zipped back to the patch before some cows came along and trampled it.  Not very likely but who knew--Harvats were moving cattle out to the summer pasture.

  My bag of rhubarb with the leaves trimmed off.

I trimmed off the other end of each stalk.  Chopped them into bite sizes, put them in the colander, washed them,

 Chopping up the stalks

Ready to wash

bagged them and finally got them in the freezer about 11:30 PM!

 All bagged up and dated

 Of course I cooked dinner, ran up to check the ditch, took pictures of the high water and watched 3 movies before I really got going on the project!

Today I decided to make my favorite dessert with rhubarb.  Even those who don't particularly like it, love this recipe.  It goes by several different names, is quick and easy to make and has many variations but this is the one I love.

RHUBARB CUSTARD CAKE ALSO KNOWN AS RHUBARB UPSIDE DOWN CAKE

Ingredients

  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package moist yellow cake mix
  • 2 cups diced rhubarb
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 pint (2 cups) whipping cream
*I use lemon cake mix sometimes and 3-4 cups rhubarb if you really like rhubarb.  Raise the sugar amount if you raise the rhubarb although some people like the tartness of the rhubarb.  

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Prepare cake mix according to the package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan.  *Be sure to make high altitude adjustments if you live up here in the mountains!
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the rhubarb and sugar. Spoon the rhubarb mixture over the cake batter. Drizzle the whipping cream over the top of the rhubarb.
  3. Bake 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before turning it out onto a serving dish. Serve with whipped cream on top of each serving if desired.
  * if you use frozen rhubarb let it thaw and pat it with paper towels!  I didn't thaw it and it still turned out good. 

Other suggestions include sprinkling strawberry jello over sugar and rhubarb mixture, use raspberries instead, and add more cream if you like the custard and bake a little longer.

This recipe came from allrecipes.com and was called Maryann's Upside Down Rhubarb Cake

This is 1/2 recipe made in a 9x9x2 inch pan.  Bob and I can't finish off a full recipe!

Yummy, I ran low on cream so made it with half and half but could have used a bit more for more custard!  I used a lemon cake mix.  Also, I didn't have enough for whipped cream on top but it sure is moist and good!

3 comments:

  1. They have a Rhubarb festival every year about this time in Intercoarse PA. We've been to it a couple of times. The Amish make all kinds of tings with rhubarb. I tried to grow some down here and so did Jenn but the weather not right (to hot) and it doesn't do very well. It costs a fortune when they have it in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep trying to transplant some closer to the house but it never lives. I think it is too wet where I have tried to put it.

    ReplyDelete