Monday, May 17, 2010

Coming Home

We finally returned to the cabin last week after being gone since February.  We arrived in a snowstorm on May 11!  The snow was sticking to the ground with big huge flakes and everything was white.  No visibility at the cabin although in town it still was OK for driving and hadn't started to stick there yet.  Everything seemed to be in good shape at home although the hot water was almost black from the rust that had collected in the hot water heater.  This has always been a problem and we just have to run the hot water tank out to clear it up.  We got dinner out of the freezer and were set.  It really felt good to sleep in our own bed that night.  It continued to snow all night and by morning we had 5 or 6 inches of heavy wet snow--just perfect for snowmen and snowball fights as well as huge mud when it melted!
Snow pictures on May 12, 2010








My hearty tulips.  I hope they don't get frostbite!

We kind of lazed around that morning.  Bob complained that the altitude was bothering him for the first time in his life and he was out of breath after climbing the stairs and I just couldn't get back in the routine.  By afternoon I was trying to hook my new computer up to the new TV to see if I could use HULU to watch the last episode shown of Lost.  I just felt really tired and didn't even want to lift up the Kindle to read my book.  I finally decided to go take a nap in bed (something I NEVER do).  As I was trying to go to sleep I realized I had that stomach flu feeling  coming on!  I have not had that feeling for maybe 20 years or more!  I've had food poisoning a few times and am the PB queen of lapband land but no stomach flu for a very very long time.  I was really worried about throwing up, too because of the possibility of my lapband slipping but it never happened.   Everything went the other way and I suffered with diarrhea for 3 days and could not get out of bed or even lift my head except to run for the bathroom off and on.  My head hurt and every hair on my head hurt individually. By Sunday I finally felt like I could get outside,  try to get my suitcase unpacked, and do some laundry  but after that I was back to being tired. (Maybe the altitude got to me a little too) Today I am finally back to normal.

While I was being sick Bob had Dr. appointments in Denver and then we missed going to Scottsbluff for Chris's graduation from lineman school.  Now I hope Bob doesn't get the malady.  He and Lynn had it in Florida so hopefully he is immune.

Today is a beautiful day with a few puffy clouds but nice warm sun!  It is 65 degrees out and I am sitting outside in front of the porch enjoying the sunshine, my favorite activity at the cabin.  The snow is almost gone, the hummingbirds are back and so are the chipmunks and the Canadian geese, so all is well up here.  By the way, our morning alarm clocks (the geese) wake us at 6:30 AM every morning with their incessant honking!  They'll be heading up to Canada in a month or so and we'll get to sleep in again.

One of our Canadian geese that comes through each spring


Sadie holding a hummer that got in our house last summer

No comments:

Post a Comment